2008/09/11

Dance Fever

I'm having big trouble with Multiply loading for me these days, so please bear with me if things go slowly... I don't know why but when I click a page, the entire browser freezes for 5-10 seconds and I never know if it is going to come back or not..... Enough of that...

Jenny posts great dance music that soothes the soul, makes us come alive with the desire to move our souls, to shake our souls... I love the stuff she posts because.. simply... I guess I never grew up with that kind of music. Mayu always teases me and says that in a former life I was probably black because the soul music has always "done something" to me. She has noted that every time I point out a song to her that really moves my soul, it's always that kind of music... so totally different from hers, so different from anything I have been exposed to here these past 20 years here in Japan and so absolutely nothing like the Country & Western that I grew up hearing all the time on Saturday mornings (thanks, Dad). So she wonders where I found my love for it, if not from a former life?

I liked Jen's latest music video she posted. The music didn't move me so much (the reggae style is not as powerful to me as soul stuff), but the story was cute, and I loved the watch the main character has! I want one of those!!! It's called Luv Me Luv Me and you can watch it at that link.

Stephanie posts fabulous Song of the Week music that I really enjoy (except her heavy metal and rock stuff which I never liked even from a young kid). She is always listening to music and has a big variety that she is fond of which never ceases to amaze me how different the stuff she loves can be. Her latest song is by that Jason Mraz guy who sings the "Geek in the Pink" song that her kids made into a dance tribute to me last summer (check that link if you never saw it last year). Her Song of the Week this week is called "I'm Yours" and it is a lot of fun. I tell you... I want to get as close to the edge as possible many times over... and then finally jump and enjoy the whole experience! Care to experience that with me? Hold my hand when we finally jump? You can scream all the way down if you like... but don't be surprised if my screams and laughter and whoops drown you out! (You'll see what I mean).

I really never was good at dancing or music, honestly I played the guitar and practiced it for about 10 years but quit because the music I wanted to play was only on radios and I could only play music I read off score. So, it went by the wayside, because my ear never picked it up well, and I didn't seem to have the rhythm to feel it either.

I remember that on more than one occasion I got seriously laughed at (scoffed at is more appropriately.. perhaps sneered at might even be better?) by one of my long-term girlfriends in my early 20s for looking like a fool on the dancefloor. I think it got hardwired into my brain (having learned about this concept recently, I do believe that is what has happened and why I have been so shy about dancing all these years).

I tried for a while to break that with another girlfriend who loved to go out drinking and dancing at clubs with me. Whew! memories of those wild times!!! That's when I ... I.... did the unthinkable and got my ear pierced *gasp*! Those were good times.

*smiling*

But after I came to Japan things changed and I never had a chance to dance in clubs and bars, at concerts, etc. (admission: I have never been to a real live big concert. ever!) Mayu goes to "lives" or concerts held by her "group" of musicians at live houses where about 100-150 (mostly women) are admitted to sit and listen, and enjoy. They clap their hands a lot, sing along, (make illegal recordings and post them on their fan blogs) but it's not a dance scene.

Then there is the Stardust Revue concert that I have been to with Mayu a few times when they came to Fukui over the years. Bunka Kaikan (Culture Hall) would fill up with a thousand people. Everyone would stand up and all "dance" but the dancing is entirely "choreographed" and everyone is doing the exact same moves with their arms at the exact same time... and I always felt a little weird in that environment because it was like everyone was in on the secret but me! Either that or they were all doing the same "speaking in hands" as some religious holy rolles do... It felt... unccomfortable for me.

Fukui doesn't really offer that kind of bar scene where you can go and dance. I know Tokyo does, but I don't live in Tokyo. The bars here are small, dark drinking and smoking establishments (for men) that have no music playing other than the music of the drunk businessman tossing his fish dinner up into the toilet and I don't really get so moved by that scene other than to move my ass out the door and home!

Soooo other than dancing with the wild boars... their legs are a little too short for me so it gives me a sore back, or the monkeys.. they keep trying to steal the thing they mistake for a banana (I don't understand why), or the bears... who just run when they see me... I really haven't had an opportunity.

But I always wish I could, and I hope that when the next phase comes along I will be able to be in an environment with friends and loved ones who will love to be with me and drag me out on the dance floor and ENJOY the way I dance like a condor. I really really dooooo....

There is a group of dancers that I have loved all my life... ALL my life... ever since I was young; I think they are the coolest, the free-est, and the most happy go lucky dance troupe I know. I can only hope that one day i can dance like them... I really want to be them on the dancefloor... I think whenever I see them... "I want to be you...."

I wanted to share a dance video with you, but thanks to the big Music Moguls denying embedding, I wasn't able to put it in the videos for you to enjoy. Even going the "click youtube link" route, doesn't work for this one.

So, all I can do is share this link with you here, and hope that you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed it all my life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAI6UM4i3RU

I hope you enjoy it!

I love you!

Cam

No comments: