2010/09/20

Old Haunts Day

Yesterday was a day that I'm going to call "Old Haunts Day".The car I rented in Kanazawa runs great, is very peppy, has enough legroom and is great on gas. Can you guess what it is without googling it? In Japan e call it the Vitz. In North America it is called the Yaris. Both are silly names but the vehicle is very nice. Tomorrow when I return it to Komatsu airport Max and I will have to ride back to his place so we need to put our bikes in it. But you know what? I actually think they will fit (with minor adjustments on our part)!

So I drove through Kanazawa to the expressway and recalled all the years Mayu and I came to Kanazawa when we needed a bigger city experience than Fukui and a little more culture. At Tokumitsu Service Area I parked, peed, and went down to the sea to enjoy the beach, surf, sun and most strongly the sound of the waves mixed with the fresh Japan Sea Air which is soooo much better than Tokyo. The air here is wonderful! No wonder I feel more tired in Tokyo.

I got off the expressway at Maruoka and visited Maruoka Castle, learning of its 450 years of history while enjoying the amazing view of the entire valley from mountains to mountaIns. Nobody could sneak up on that lord!

Then it was off to Yasusaki Home Center and Y Plaza supermarket to wander around. I ate lunch at McDonalds there then zipped over to the only Starbucks in Fukui which is at the shopping center kalled Elpaformerlyknownascopa.

From there I wandered in that mall then took my cycling route way up to Aoki Drug in Matsuoka so I could buy some dish sponges that are cheaper here than Tokyo. Next I drove through Eiheiji and went to my swimming hole where I spent an enjoyable half hour or so getting naked and swimming in the autumn-chilled "shrivel me timber" waters. Wonderful!! After drip drying I dressed again and went to the old house to see how well it was degrading. Very well indeed. I even said hi to Dickhead's Dad. You should have seen his face when he saw me! It was priceless! He asked, "Are you going to be livinghere again?!?" As I had the upper hand I smiled and told him I was just passing through to take a look. The relief I gave him with my words was palpable.

I saw a bunch of my other friends in the hood, hugged them all, laught, talked and enjoyed the time.

Then I took the big loop up to Katsuyama along my favourite river road, went to Ono and visited a pastry shop I went to for the best pie choux in the multiverse.

Having a hankering for dinner I went to 8Ban Ramen for a great memory dinner then drove back to Fukui not the Katsuyama way, but throught the othr mountains. I havent driven that way in years.

Arriving at Fukui I zipped into Second Street but didnt find any clothes I wanted, got back in the car, drove to Maruoka and jumped back on the tollway. Then it was an hour long drive in the inky night mountains to Kanazawa. I found a parking spot, went into the hotel, and has an hour-long comprehensive bath in the onsen spa on the 14th floor.

And now, at 10:30 in the morning on Monday I am about to check out and head over to Maxville where I will remain (unshaven) until Saturday evening. Oh yeah... I have to return the car to Komatsu airport on Tuesday and ten cycle back to Maxville in the cool night air. A night run!

And there we go: full circle on Old Haunts Day, brought to you by my thumbs on my keitai.

Enjoy the gotch!

I love you!!
Cam

Posted via email from Thoughts From The Big Rice Bowl

No comments: