2008/08/15

One Pretty Japanese Girl, Please

Years ago I realized that I would never do well as a "monkey in a suit" trying to sell my banana. I just don't like the lack of creativity that seems to go along with the "classic business style". As the years passed, and I tried several jobs, I finally settled into a style that is my own, one that I am comfortable with, and one that if I had to give up, I really don't know if I could do it!

The other day I received an email from an Australian company asking if I could introduce them to some Japanese eyeglass manufacturers. We went back and forth a bit as I explained what I can do. They said they would get back to me.

A week later I followed up with another email as I had not heard from them. Immediately I received an email back informing me that at this time they were very busy preparing their collection for the October Eyewear Trade Show in Tokyo (iOFT) and also in France but would get back to me when they had some time.

I jumped on that lead and wrote back asking if they needed a "sales interpreter" for the show here in Tokyo as that is exactly in my line of business and what I do best!

Then the gentleman wrote back to me, "We were hoping to have a pretty Japanese girl on our stand as an interpreter. How much would you charge per day?"

And THIS is how I replied...

Hi Anthony,
Is this your first time to iOFT, or are you a veteran?
If you are looking for a pretty Japanese girl who will turn their Japanese into your English and your English into their Japanese BUT BE UNABLE TO DO MUCH ELSE.... then your best bet is to go for the girl, because pretty does have value. At the end of the day, she will take her paycheck, and go home.
And... then you'll be left with a bunch of Japanese guys who have to explain everything to you later (through me or directly) all over again. Or have to follow all the business cards you got with phone calls, emails (dead ends) and so forth.
Or.... for a bit more of an investment, you could have me, well-versed in the eyeglass industry, extremely adept at working trade shows and pulling people into booths, engaging them in leading conversations IN THEIR LANGUAGE, AS WELL AS HAVING A VESTED INTEREST IN SELLING, MARKETING AND FOLLOWING UP ON YOUR EFFORTS here in Japan.
I should say that if all you want is a translator, I'll stop here because that doesn't interest me. I can go and chat to my neighbour in Japanese whenever I want. What interests me is getting YOU into the market.
But in all seriousness, the fundamental difference between a translator and myself is I would be working not for language, but for selling your concept to the market and opening it up with you in a synergistic way.
It is an investment of course. Usually when I work Trade Shows I do USD $XXX / day plus expenses (food, hotel, local transport to and from show, etc.). I will help you set up and take down the booth if you have me come in early (up to you). I will be with you at dinner as well (unless you don't want me there) so we can discuss the day's events. I can even tell you what's good! If you want to have dinner with clients also, I can set that up with you and be there FOR YOU on your behalf. I will be your guide dog. I don't think a cute Japanese girl is going to go that far for you! I'll go all the way!
I would like to come the night before so that we can get to meet, you can tell me about yourselves, get familiar with me, be at ease with our different ways of conducting business and so forth. You can show me your collections, tell me what your target markets are, the sales points, the key points, why you are better than everyone else out there that has a similar concept, and all that important stuff that people really need to know when they are explaining the product to potential prospects.
I live outside of Tokyo so I have to fly there and stay in hotels, but it makes sense to be near you so we can discuss business from breakfast, all the way to "last call", and then start again the next day.
I can get a return flight for about USD$YYY these days (plus travel to and from the airport), but if you would be willing to employ my services for the entire show, I would eat 50% of travel costs as my expense to do business with you. If you can tell me the hotels you are staying in, I can look for the cheapest rates from here, compare them with what you get, and if it's cheaper for me to book here and bill you, then we can do that. Or if you have a better deal as a package through your travel agent, you can book directly for me.
And, what I will do for you included in those costs, Anthony, is I will make the first follow up calls to all of the potential prospects that you would like to do business with and gather any other detailed information you would like to get. I will do this at my expense. Why? Because follow up is critical in this market, and sending a simple email doesn't do the trick as well as most foreign businesses think it does.
So, Anthony, I guess I'll let you talk among your associates to see whether it makes sense to save a few bucks and get your words translated, or invest in the total project that will need to be running longer than just the three or four days you are here. The trade show should be just the very beginning of your bigger plan. After all, coming to Japan is a huge expense on your part, therefore it is essential to improve your ROI as much as possible. And to do that, you need to invest (sorry, Mr. MBA speaking from big experience re. companies coming here, not listening to me, not investing in the bigger project, and then not succeeding).
So, what's it going to be? The girl, the gold watch, or everything?
Have a great day, Anthony, and if you dislike my humour mixed in with my business, just let me know. I mean absolutely NO disrespect, but I have also learned that business without enjoyment is probably the worst kind of business one could ever imagine.
Cam Switzer
Now don't get me wrong; I am dead serious about wanting this business, and if you look at my reply, you will see that everything they need to know is there (for now). I know most businesses are very busy so I won't waste their time by sending back a meaningless email. Ever. (It may be a bit wordy, but that's because I prefer to be thorough and give them as much as they possibly can to make an educated decision rather than just a few empty Q&A going back and forth).
But I have to tell you, if I had to do business the "conservative way", I think I would really find it absolutey not interesting. By throwing in my soul to the work for my clients, how can I not throw in my personality? Those who want "pince-nez butler-style business" are free to go elsewhere as I really do not want to have to beg for my supper.
I love doing it this way, and I sincerely hope that at some point in the future, I can find some other companies in Canada or the USA that will be interested in utilizing my services, and skills (and personality) to improve their business plans with Japan.

I think that if you take the monkey out of the suit, I'm pretty sure he can sell his banana!

I love you!

Cam

P.S. Don't get me wrong... when I have to wear a suit for my work, I do it and enjoy it! And you know... I think I look pretty damn hot in or out of my suit, if I do say so myself!

No comments: