2011/03/21

A New Challenge

Ts3o0095

I really don't find riding in the city much to my liking and haven't been able to do nearly as much riding as I would like.

I have also been thinking for some time now that in-line skating, as much as I sucked at ice skating, might be a new exercise to start up.

Also, it might mean that once I got stable and safe enough on them to actually do it with some confidence, I could consider takimng them to work and then skate home the 12km once in a while, when the weather is good (which is often in Tokyo). There was really nowhere to skate any distance safely in Fukui and the Edogawa walking/cycling path would be a great way to easily get in a good workout.

So yesterday I bought a book for beginners (Amazon) and plan to read it when it arrives. Today I went to Jimbocho/Ochanomizu and looked at some skates. I also asked a ton of questions.

There was some big hesitation after while I thought about it over coffee and when I looked up the sleeve, it came down to this: fear of being seen a novice, worry that I won't be able to do it, and the memory of hating and sucking at ice skating (for a Canadian prairie boy that's a big admission). Once I realized what these hesitations were all due to, I could see that they are all foundless and that if I put my mind and body to it, and realize that nobody is going to ridicule me here for looking foolish, I was able to conclude that I will do this. (I also want to relearn how to play the guitar and have a ton of unfounded excuses for not having started that years ago as well).

So...

I will read the book when it arrives, then go and buy the skates and just do it.

My old lunchbag that finally melted away said this on it in big, bold letters: "Do one thing a day that scares you."

So I will!

I love you!
Cam

Posted via email from Thoughts From The Big Rice Bowl

No comments: