2008/07/05

Smothering Prince(ss) Charming

When I was young, I went for a nature walk with a friend and his dad. We walked for a long way on wooden trails through the marsh. It was a wonderful walk to take. I suddenly remembered it very clearly tonight.

During the walk I found a little frog sitting on a rock. I caught it and wanted to bring it home, so I brought it back to the car in my cupped hands, careful not to squash it.

When I arrived at the car I looked in my hands and the poor little frog was dead.

I killed it with my desire to keep it too near.

Do you remember that old "hippie" saying, "If you love something set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours." ? There is truth to that.

Hanging onto posessions or relationships with an iron grip for fear of losing them can often do more harm than good; you may smother what you cherish.

This was just a silly little random memory applied to my personal life lessons for the day. Now it is time to get out of this 90F house and relax supine on the deck in the cooler night (after I get rid of the piece of broccoli that went up into my nose instead of down my throat...)

I love you!

Cam

No comments: