2011/04/04

Thoughts on the Japanese High Voice Sales Pitch

I zipped into UniQlo at Shinjuku Stn to buy another Silky Dry undershirt. The store manager was a young American fellow who is apparently the only foreign manager in Japan at UniQlo. That was impressive.

Then I heard him do the Irrasshaimase thing and his voice went up quite a bit in pitch. I told him how friends have commented on my voice rising when I speak Japanese but that it isn't done on purpose (Stephanie, do you remember?). He said that the company policy states they have to say their sales spiel in a higher tone than they speak because they have found that it gives more favourable results. If UniQlo actively does it then I imagine other retailers train their staff similarly. That was an eye opener because it never occurred to me that the higher voice would actually be dictated in the training manuals!

He did say, "You gotta follow what the bosses say, though it does make me feel silly."

Time to catch my train. Have a great day!

I love you!
Cam

Posted via email from Thoughts From The Big Rice Bowl

No comments: