2008/06/04

Keeping the Weight Down

Because I'm so darn tall, my clothes end up taking up so much space all the time. It bugs me, yanno? I mean, when we go traveling, My one pair of gotch takes up about the same volume as a week's worth of Mayu's! It's not fair (and she doesn't wear thongs). Add to that a suit, a sportscoat, dress shoes, dress shirts, etc. for business travel and it all adds up substantially. The ties don't take much space, but still... sheesh! I wish for once I could just travel lightly!

So I am working on my packing list for this trip. Eighteen days usually requires a lot of clothes. Usually I can wash my gotch and socks in the sink in the hotel room so that's not soo bad, but still, it's nice to have enough, and not be putting on damp gotch in the morning.

This time I will not be staying at a hotel. Instead I will be staying at Khanada's flat for the week working in Houston, and then with the ghost for the time I am in Stefnee, Kansas. So I am hoping that they will let me use their laundry machine (ooh! we can fold gotch together! how thrilling!!!) which will cut back some on the amount of clothing I need to take, towels, and hair dryers (with short hair now I don't shed anymore). And of course a facecloth to do my usual eco-showering!

Also, YES is a casual place and Khanada said she often works in jeans. That's good. I'm not a jeans guy as I overheat in them, but it means no suits, no dress shirts, no coach black leather shoes, no ties. That will dramatically cut back the packing, let me tell you.

So, what have we got to pack?

Well, first of all I need to pack the CLOTHING...

  • t-shirts (5) - easy to roll up and stuff
  • short-sleeved work shirts (3) - don't need to work in long sleeves, can wear out in evening
  • long-sleeved dress shirt (1) - just in case
  • tank tops (3) - for that holiday heat
  • gotch (5) - not a commando guy, and if it's hot, it's great to change into something "dry" after work in Houston
  • pj shorts (2) - I don't sleep naked; especially when I'm a guest
  • socks (5) - we wear socks in Kansas
  • outdoor shorts (3) - I don't wear pants much in the summer at all unless I'm working
  • casual pants (3-4) - for work, and going out where shorts are inappropriate
  • sandals/shoes (2) - getting around
  • thin sweater (1) - cooler nights, going out
  • jean jacket (1) - in case it's cool on the porch in Kansas
  • sports coat (1) - you never know
  • airplane slippers (1) - keep feet cool, and fresher
  • of course one set of clothes in this list I'll be wearing on the trip, so that decreases the total volume somewhat...

Then we have the TOILETRIES...

  • toothrush/paste - fresh breath, clean teeth
  • razor/cream - I prefer me without facial hair
  • anti-p - necesarry
  • just-in-case tylenol stuff - different time zones, different air, different living conditions, long flights... they all add up
  • Airborne - to enjoy a "spritz" of effervescent vitamin bubbly once in a while
  • YES Supplements - essential travel gear
  • pi perfume - because I like it!

Can't forget the travel ESSENTIALS...

  • passport - necessary for globalized ootnaboot travel
  • airline ticket - obviously
  • travel insurance - covers everything that might not happen
  • train tickets - $160 to go to the airport and back.
  • wallet - yep
  • gaijin card - necessary to leave and come back into Japan
  • USD/JPY - obviously
  • credit cards

And add on to that the SUNDRIES...

  • sunglasses - have sunnies, will travel
  • lip chicken poop - traveling dries out the lipperoonies
  • book to read - have a new one on order, recommended by Abby (more NewAge Wackhead shit)
  • gifts - coming from / going to Japan you never ever ever travel gift-free. Ever. Got that?
  • carry-on bag - Awesome new Eddie Bauer bag. I love it! best one yet
  • stefnee sling bag - still waiting for it to come. something to carry books, passport, etc.

Lest we forget the ELECTRONICS...

  • computer et. al - must do work (in Japanese), and keep in touch with outside world (this is the biggest pain in the ass of all to travel with - I hate traveling with computers)
  • video camera / charger - cam without video? hahahahahahaha
  • camera / charger - still shots for those folks still on squirrel dial up
  • IC recorder - plan to see what happens when I sleep with a ghost for a week
  • keitai / charger - need this for when I return

I think that's about it. Now I just need to pull this up as a checklist next week for travel.

I wonder if I'm going to get all this stuff into one check in bag (my big rolling bright red duffel), and then the other stuff into my carry on day pack, and the stefnee bag...? I hope so. I'm seriously going to try to do these 18 days without two pieces of check in luggage.

If the weather looks like rain, since Mayu will be away when I leave, I will pre-ship my suitcase to Osaka Airport a few days early (by wednesday next week) and then walk down to the local train pickup point to ride into Fukui. It's not a long walk by any means (nothing here is), but not something I recommend doing while pulling a suitcase in the rain. I will just take one of those little fold up travel umbrellas that keep your head and shoulders dry, and that's it.

I love you!

Cam

No comments: