2008/06/06

NOW

I think being present, and aware of the NOW suits me.

Why do I say this? Well, I have to admit, I have rarely ever dwelled on the PAST. This isn't a recent thing, and you can ask my partner of 20 years about this if you wish. I have always looked at my successes and my failures as things that have been part of my "total running education" that has helped me to grow into the person I am NOW.

I must also admit that I have repeatedly (year after year) failed miserably in my attempts to use schedule books, daily planners, calendars, and those things where you pen in your FUTURE. I just don't need them.

I have never been able to use a schedule book; they have never worked for me. I've tried for 20 years, but they always sit empty, unless I use them for scrap paper (which is also a good function I guess).

Whenever people have asked me what my FUTURE plans are (it frustrated Mayu to no end), my response was always, "it doesn't matter to me because what I am doing right NOW is more important". I have also said, "I don't know, but I'm comfortable with that." And when asked, "So what do you want in the FUTURE?" my reply has always been, "I don't know because I am happy with what I have NOW."

This was probably the biggest problem for my former employer because he always needed to have 5-10 year FUTURE business plans. Oh well..... That's one of the reasons I am not there anymore NOW, probably much to his relief.

I have come to understand in my own way that for me (maybe it is different for you, and that is perfectly OK), to move into the "FUTURE", I can only move through an infinite amount of NOW moments. By focusing on those NOW moments completely, I always get where I want to go (I have 42 years of experience to making me a pro). But by focusing on the next step before I get there (not "thinking" about it, but I mean worrying about it, focusing too much on that being more important than this now), I lose sight of where I am right NOW . That is when I start to have problems because in those circumstances (and they happen in life of course - they need to occur at time) I am not giving my best to the NOW moment. In these times the structure, the web, starts to fall apart.

So for me, this concept of being present NOW, and focusing on right NOW (like this blog to you.... nothing else matters at this moment than to share these thoughts with you NOW), comes with ease.

But for many others, this is difficult. I think that it really helps to keep me calm, and at peace. I feel this way because I know I can control what I do NOW. I also know that I cannot control what I might do tomorrow because all of the things I might imagine, or envision (with only part attention because I think about the day after tomorrow, and the day after that, too if I have to schedule future plans), all of the conditions will not be set until that very moment comes, "NOW". And at that moment, that "NOW moment", when faced with those motions right NOW ... that is when I can make my appropriate responses, take the appropriate actions that best suit the situation I face.

Right NOW .

I am aware of my breathing....
I am aware of my body...
I am aware of the energy connecting me to the Universe...
I am aware of the noon chimes...

NOW

And I am aware of you.

I love you.

Cam

No comments: