2010/05/17

Picture This

I love this combination of photo and comic. It shows so well how the old Japanese houses were built. One of the women in my class at Kobuchizawa lives in a house like this. Do you see the guest is entering and the floor is made of mud? That is actually INSIDE the home. Look how much higher up the rest of the house is from that "Do-ma" or earthen-room. Also you can see how everything was so open; there was no glass for the windows back in those days so they had wooden slats to block the elements. The inside doors were sliding and they had paper on them to let in some light and block some of the wind. But it must have been really cold in there in winter...

The imagery is stunning. I have seen examples of these kinds of homes with straw thatched roofs when I went to Shirakawa-go (remember, Stefnee?) Amazing. The train has arrived, so toodleoo!

I love you!
Cam

Posted via email from Thoughts From The Big Rice Bowl

No comments: