2008/05/20

Historical Carolinian Overlay

I don't know how to explain this...

I've been thinking about it since it occurred while visiting Mavis in North Carolina this past January. I guess I should just tell the story, though it won't be long.

As you know, Sheila came into Asheville to meet me. We spent a fantastic day there and then she drove me the several hours back to her home in the countryside. It seemed like a long drive as we had to go over the mountains and into a different valley a few hours away.

As we approached her neck of the woods, I was sitting there quietly looking at the scenery and (for me) a VERY strange thing started to occur...

As I sat there watching the landscape flow by, I began to see... historical landscape overlaid on the current modern surroundings. Does that make sense? At first I began to see a wooded, peaceful scene with Indian villages, hunting grounds, and ... life.

Then as we continued driving on top of that I was able to see white man moving into this area, starting their own colonies, battling the locals.

Then I could see battles among white soldiers going on in the woods, the forests, along the rivers. I was able to see dead soldiers bleeding into the creek, dying, fighting, bayoneting, and more carnage.

It was very very strange for me as I have no "afterlife" spiritual contact that I know of. I have never met, seen, felt the presence of ghosts or spirits. Ever. This was a first time for me and I explained it to Sheila as we drove.

She found my discussion to be intriguing, and maybe she can add something in the comment section because it's kind of faded now as it all blended into the landscape in layers that I was able to witness all at the same time. It was like I was driving through history, but slices of historical times all at the same time!

Once we drove a little further, it all stopped. I tried to see if I could see more later on, but I couldn't; it was that one time, one area only. And I never saw it again.

Sheila looked into the local area for me and found some very interesting information that shows it is actually a historic site where some revolutionary war battles took place and how North Carolinian militia helped bring about the end of the British Occupation. This area is a part of what is known as the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail.

In the fall of 1780, upcountry patriots from Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina formed a militia to drive the British from the southern colonies. This trail marks their 14-day trek across the Appalachians to the Piedmont region of the Carolinas. There they defeated British troops at the Battle of Kings Mountain, setting in motion events that led to the British surrender at Yorktown and the end of the Revolutionary War.

Here is a link if you want to read a nice slice of this bit of history about Morganton and about North Carolina and the part that the state played in the defeat of the British:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_trail/overmoun.htm

One of the towns we drove through was Morganton. Here is some more information that Sheila sent me...

Morganton

The first settlement here was called McDowell's Station after a fortified house and store built by Charles McDowell's father. No one is sure where that building or the house of 1780 stood.
The seat of Burke County, Morganton is the midpoint of the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail. The Wilkes-Surry segment joins the main route here. Both routes come downtown to the square in which the Old Burke Courthouse sits.

When we drove through this town, Sheila pointed out this courthouse. It was a gorgeous old stone building that fascinated me! Next time I hope we can stop and go inside because I love old buildings.

I don't know what else to say about this event that occurred for a brief period of time, and then never again, but it was bizarre enough for me to take vocal note of and discuss with Sheila at the time.

I love you!

Cam

(The image at the beginning of this post is the McDowell House Plantation).

P.S. You know.... upon reading this information... it sounds a lot like the local militia formed in Iraq that are battling against other "occupying forces" in order to drive them out and maintain their desire for independence... Isn't it funny how we can look at a similar event in two completely different ways?

No comments: